Tuesday 14 May 2013

Critical Reflections


Module 2 of the BAPP course has given me the chance to reflectively look at my current professional practice and where I intend on taking this inquiry. Being given another chance to do this module gave the chance to take time and think about what I wanted my inquiry to be about. Whilst thinking about my inquiry plan I knew that I had to have an inquiry that related to my current practice. With that said these questions came to mind; how practical will it be? Who will benefit from it? And how will I benefit from it (Appendix A) 
Time management has played a big part in my inquiry plan, being able to develop a possible inquiry has taken a lot of planning and prioritising. This time around I was able to really grasp the importance of blogging; I made sure to blog my thoughts and my progress of the development of my Professional Inquiry Plan. (Appendix B)
My previous way of thinking was not working, after discussions with my adviser I started to change my way of thinking. I my inquiry had to me clear and concise. (Appendix C) 
Creating a SIG has been changing, although some of the BAPP are in a similar line of work it has been hard to get my SIG going. My SIG did not have much of a response. (Appendix D)

Professional Ethics

Part 5 of the tasks in module 2 focused on the more Ethical side to the inquiry (Appendix E). I found that because I will be working with young people I will have a lot more codes of conduct to adhere to.
From reading the Ethics part of the module I have learnt that ethics play a large part in my inquiry, at first I did not completely understand what ethics were. My lack of understand was clearly due to not correctly reading reader 5 and not asking for help when it was needed. The campus session on Processional Ethics helped me to gain a greater understanding of what ethic where and how it was relevant to my inquiry. (Appendix F)

Tools of Professional Inquiry

Being able to pilot questions was quit hard at first as not all members of staff were in at the same time; I had to make sure that I could get a sufficient amount of staff together just to ask a few questions. Before the questions were asked I made sure that I explained my Professional Inquiry plan to them, once this was done I asked them my planed questions.(Appendix G)

Summary 

During this process I’m finding that I am learning new things not just about that Young People, I am learning more and more about Youth Work (Appendix H). By reading more pieces of literature biased around my inquiry, I will be able to gain a further understanding. I plan to continue blogging my process as well as blogging. Becoming a Youth worker would not have been something I would have seen myself doing a few years ago nevertheless I am enjoying being a Youth worker and I am ready to conduct my inquiry.

 Bibliography

Alderson, P, (2011) The Ethics of Research with Children and Young People: A Practical Handbook, (Privacy right) P35, Sage Publications Ltd; 2nd edition, California 

Baez, B. (2002). Confidentiality in qualitative research: Reflections on secrets, power and agency. Qualitative Research, 2(1), 35–58.

Olson, G, (2006) Teenage Girls: Exploring Issues Adolescent Girls Face and Strategies to Help Them (Youth Specialties), Zondervan/Youth Specialties, United States

Buchroth, I and Parkin, C, (2010) Using Theory in Youth and Community Work Practice (Empowering Youth and Community Work Practice), Learning Matters; 2 edition,Exeter, Great Britain.

Banks, S, (2010) Ethical Issues in Youth Work, Routledge; 2 edition, Canada

Litosseliti, L (2003) Using Focus Groups in Research (Continuum Research Methods Series), Continuum, Cromwell, Great Britain  

Middlesex University, (2012) Reader 4 Developing Lines of Professional Inquiry, BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Arts WBS 3630.

Middlesex University, (2012) Reader 5 Professional Ethics, BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Arts WBS 3630.

Middlesex University, (2012) Reader 6 Tools of Professional Inquiry, BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Arts WBS 3630. 

APPENDIX  


Appendix A  http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/4a.html 
Appendix B http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/a-brief-brainstorm-on-my-inquiry-process.html
Appendix C http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/inquiry-title.html 
Appendix D http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/4ddeveloping-with-my-own-professional.html
Appendix E http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/5a.html 
Appendix F http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/5b.html
Appendix G http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/pilot-interview-with-colleague.html
Appendix H http://sanstars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/what-have-i-gained-from-youth-work.html


No comments:

Post a Comment