Tuesday 24 April 2012

Full House

Friday’s evenings session (20th April) was so much more progressive than the last two, finally we had just over 30 young people turn up. This was such a big difference compared to the first session which only had a turnout of 2 young people, this was such a big shock for me since it would be my first time working with such a large amount of young people.
 
The session started at 6:30pm and as soon as the doors opened the young people came rushing in. This was the first time I had met any of them, I did not introduce myself until I was working with them in groups as I felt I had better chance of them remembering my name and having their attention.
 
For the first part of the session I sat at the table with a few of the young people while my colleges explained to other young people what the evening events would be. I was designing my flags for our jubilee celebrations, some of the young people joined me while two or three of them just joined in because there friends where doing it. Whist I was at the table I had some of the young people asking me who I was and if I was new, I introduced myself explained why I was there. I made sure that I asked them to introduce themselves to me; I then asked if they would be joining in our performance. Most of them said that they will be taking part, as they individually introduces themselves to me I then started to put a face to the names which were on our casting list from the previous session. As they introduced themselves I then began to understand why my colleague had given them certain parts, she really does have a great knowledge of the young people and their capability.

We spent 30mins on the flag making, once the 30mins where up we then split up the young people between the five members of staff. My colleague and I took the young people who were taking part in the dance piece in to the dance studio, while the others who would not be taking part went to the hall opposite to play games with one of the other workers.
once all the young people had settled down, which took at least 5-10 minutes since some of the young people who had originally said they did not want to take part where starting to change their minds.

I had to explain to the young people who now wanted to take part they had to wait till the next session, they were very understanding and then they went into the other hall. My colleague and I knew that some of the young people who didn’t not want to take part would change there minds, we decided that for the first few session we would work with those who wanted to take part. The last thing we wanted to do was to leave anybody out, so we knew that we definitely needed to add extra parts to the dance piece.

The next session will be on Friday 27th April, im looking forward to this session. It would be interesting to see how many young people turn up and how many more want to take part.

No comments:

Post a Comment