Monday 11 March 2013

How can i become more prepared?




The session was about mother’s day and red nose day, there were two tables set up so that the young people could make mother’s day cards as well as red nose day T-shirts. This session did not have any many young people as previous weeks however there were still more girls than boys; this is a recurring tend. A few of the girls did not join in with any of the t-shirt making as they did not bring a t-shirt, although they were told in the previous session to bring one.

We did offer the young people who did not bring a t-shirt bags that they could buy that could be designed, these bags would cost 50p this money would be donated to red nose day. The other table was also slightly empty, to get some of the girls to make mother’s day card I thought that maybe if they saw me make one then maybe they would do the same. This idea worked but a few of the girls still did not want to take part, they were too busy talking with each other. From what I could hear the discussion was about boyfriends; this is always a hot topic with that particular group of girls. To get them to co-operate more one of the other youth workers started to play a card game with them, this was a game that he had made up on the spot.  He explained the rules to the girls and boys however within seconds of the game beginning some of the girls started shouting out ‘what are the rules again?’
As I was sat on the table watching over as some of the girls designed there t-shirts one of the girls asked me a question ‘What do you think about 16 and pregnant?’ I did not what to say many question came to mind.

Am I permitted to answer this question?
What is my opinion on the topic?
How can I answer this question without being to explicit? 

The whole table swiftly became quite, I gathered my thoughts and answered the question; as I finished my answer she them said ‘my sister is 16 and pregnant’ I was stunned I hoped that my answer did not offend her as I generally answered the question. My answer was not directed to anyone, it was amazing to see how happy she was, and all I could say was 16 is too young to have a child. Before the conversation could go any further another youth worker came to the table and explained to the girls that they should not talk about people who are not in the session 

I’ve had a few days to reflect on last Friday sessions I feel that I could have dealt with matters better; I feel that I should not have answered the questions. I could have causally changed the subject; I find it hard not to give an opinion on things especially when I am asked. i will be reaching into common topics amongst young people, this is so that the next time i am in a situation like this I am aware of how o correctly deal with it.
Questioned generated 

I have thought of a few questions that I would like to ask the young people; as I have motioned numerous times in previous blogg Fridays are the busiest days. Due to the large amount of young people that attend the youth sessions I would like to find out why these young people prefer to come on the Friday. I will also be asking my colleagues questions, It would be interesting to hear their opinions, these are pilot questions. 



  • Why do you attend the youth sessions?
  • Do you attend any of the session during the week?
  • Who do you attend the sessions with? I.e. school friends
  •  Do any of you friends attend the youth sessions?
  • Have you made any new friends since being a member of the Riverside?



Below are a few pictures from Fridays session, I have made sure to follow the child protection act.















1 comment:

  1. Hi Sanana
    I think it is very easy to look back on a situation and realize you could have done something different. However, you have to remember that in the moment you did what you thought was best, then upon reflection you learnt that there may have been a different way of handling it. Think of this as a positive and not a negative, you learnt from the situation so should it arise again you will know how to handle it. You have also thought about researching in to other common topics that children/youths talk about so you can be more prepared which is great!
    Remember that every situation you encounter is just another learning opportunity :)
    Em

    ReplyDelete